Friday, August 12, 2011

Yummy World, San Mateo (06.20.11)

My lazy ass is finally getting around to posting on meals we had a couple of months ago.

So...let's talk about Yummy World. Yummy World has been the must-hit place for the hubby every time we go up north. He loves loves loves one of their fish dishes (well...it's fish prepped 2 ways) and I agree it's a good dish.

Fish Two Ways is our must order dish so we ordered it yet again. The first preparation of the fish is "ching-chow." Stop trying to speak Chinese, people! Translated literally it means "clearly stir-fried." It's a simple preparation, really. There's a bed of steamed yu choy and on top of that are chunks of the fish stir fried with red bell peppers. A nice, clean-tasting dish. No heavy sauce...just clean bright flavors.
The second preparation is "fish in clay pot," which had tofu, scallions and fried, breaded pieces of the fish in a brown sauce. I like this prep because of the huge chunks of tofu...this is Chinese comfort food. This is the stuff you crave on a cold rainy night...it just warms and fills you up!

We were in a rush so we only ordered 2 dishes. The second dish was one which we hadn't been able to try in past visits. We ordered the Spare Ribs Chow Fun in Crab Sauce. This dish was a little disappointing to the hubby but I liked it just fine. The dish was served very very hot so a little hard to enjoy given my lack of patience. In fact, I think I did manage to scorch my tongue. Good flavors with huge chunks of eggplant and chunks of what else? spare ribs! Yes, crunchy, chewy, porky spare ribs. Very yum!

I have no doubts that we'll be hitting Yummy World up again on our next trip north.

No comments: